A common question asked to the A.E.D. staff is, “How do I weld Docol® Tube R8?”
The answer is welding Docol® Tube R8 is very similar to welding other roll cage and chassis materials like 4130 Chrome Moly and 1020 DOM.
Here is what to know when preparing to weld Docol® Tube R8:
- Docol® is suitable to be either “TIG” or “MIG” weld
- Spec calls for ER80SD2 filler material but ER70S is also suitable for both “TIG” and “MIG”
- Docol® requires very little prep work - Due to no oxidation or decard layer there is no need for grinding on the tube to prep the weld area, just wipe the oil off and go.
- Due to low alloy counts and a clean oxide free surface, Docol® is easily welded to other types of steel
- DO NOT PREHEAT THE MATERIAL – Docol® as a finished tube is NOT a heat treatable material. Any attempt to heat treat Docol® may result in what is know as a “dead soft” material.
- To reduce the width of the HAZ as much as possible, it is recommended that you keep the heat input as low as possible while still maintaining a good penetration